One time you’re sitting on your favorite office chair, and the next thing you know you are staring over the marvelous sight of the mountains. This is exactly what we did in Mt. Kulis in Tanay, Rizal the newest camping ground and view deck to watch the beautiful sea of clouds.
Table of Contents
Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite
Mt. Kulis and Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite also known as “Bahay ni Kardo” in ABS-CBN’s action drama TV series “Ang Probinsyano” are the newest hiking destinations in Tanay, Rizal. This area is developed for outdoor and recreational activities.
This is one of the most accessible locations next to Treasure Mountain to watch the sea of clouds and experience camping. It is advisable for all ages looking for weekend retreat.
Check out our aerial video!
What To Do
Go Camping and Sleep under the Billion Stars
The best thing to do in a place like Mt. Kulis is to camp and spend overnight. The campsite is extensive and can accommodate a huge number of visitors. You can bring your own tent and pay for pitching fee or rent one from them. The clear night skies with gleaming stars are absolutely a scene while enjoying chitchatting with your favorite buddies. Don’t forget to wear jackets and other thermal wear to fight the chilly weather.
Experience Outdoor Cooking
Try cooking your favorite breakfast and dinner using camp stoves and outdoor gears. When spending the night over the mountain, it is common to prepare your own food using camping cookware. You can buy one from outdoor/climbing stores like local brands Brown Trekker and Basekamp or other stores like Coleman, Mountain Hardwear and ROX.
This way you’ll enjoy cooking your own food and share it with your camping mates! In case you want a hassle-free meal, you can order them from the staffs in the campsite.
Breakfast – Php120 per meal
Lunch – Php250 per meal
Dinner – Php250 per meal
Watch the Sunrise and Sea of Clouds
The most awaited time of the day, the sunrise and the forming of sea of clouds over the mountain stretch. As early as 4am, clouds are starting to form and extend over the mountain ranges. Make sure to wake up early to witness this superb sight. If you’ve visited Treasure Mountain, the viewing in Mt. Kulis will certainly surprise you. The displays of sea of clouds are more dense and up close giving you an amazing experience. Mt. Kulis and Treasure Mountain shares the same view, but sea of clouds emerge first in Kulis before extending to Treasure Mountain.
5-Minute Trek to Sambong Peak
There is a 5-minute trek from the campsite that will lead you to Sambong Peak standing at 629 masl. The mark is the usual venue for group and solo captures and if you are seeking for more exciting spot, the natural rock formations will surely satisfy you.
Ride the Noah’s Ark
To complete your thrilling adventure, enjoy the picturesque view on top of Noah’s Ark, a boat anchored on top of the mountain and over the sea of clouds. It requires 30-45-minute trek with some downhill and uphill. Going to this spot requires you to avail a local tour guide worth Php500. The fee includes going to Lion House Falls.
If you want to see the sea of clouds and experience it while on top of Noah’s Ark, you need to start your trek as early as 4am. Other tourists will start flocking the area normally by 6am. Expect forming a queue to get everyone’s chances riding and taking their pictures on this unique vantage point.
Dip and Freshen Up on Lion House Falls
To cap off the day, bath yourself in the cold water of Lion House Falls. From Noah’s Ark, it is an hour and a half trek passing through the gate and registration area. Follow a continuous downhill route until you reach the steep stairs going to the river stream. From here, you need to hop on rocks, cross some knee-deep water until you reach the top where Lion House Falls is situated.
The notable feature of Lion House Falls are its cold water and strong water drop perfect to energize your wearied body. It may not be beautiful and extensive like other waterfalls but accomplishing Lion House Falls is fulfilling knowing you endured the trek and the hot weather.
Things To Consider
- Weather in Tanay is usually cold especially during the night and early morning time. Bring your jacket or blankets if going for an overnight camping.
- Do not litter. Always bring your trash with you.
- Best time to visit is during weekdays to avoid the crowd.
- Flying of drone is allowed.
- No picking of flowers or plants.
- Take care of your personal belongings.
- Make sure to log in and log out in the registration area.
- Do not enter on private properties.
- Start of accommodating overnight guests starts at 4pm until 8pm to ensure safety and give respect to the local community in the vicinity of Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite.
- There is a corkage fee of Php50 per alcoholic beverage bottle.
- Day tour starts at 4am and guests may stay until 4pm.
- Smoking is allowed n designated smoking areas only.
- Do not make too much and disturbing noise like shouting and loud music.
- There are parking spaces available.
Rates and Fees
Entrance Fee – Php150/head
Entrance Fee – Php200/head
4pm-1pm the following day
Tent Pitching Fee – Php300/tent
Tent Rental – Php500 good for 2 persons
Sleeping Mat – Php100/mat
Cottage – Php2,000/day tour & Php3,000/overnight
Tour Guide – Php500
Breakfast – Php120/meal
Lunch – Php250/meal
Dinner – Php250/meal
How To Get There
Route 1 – Via Marcos Highway
You need to pass over Masinag, Cogeo, Boso-Boso Resort, Palo Alto and Garden Cottages. Follow the road until you reach Maysawa Circuit, the jump-off point for Mt. Sapari and Mt. Binutasan. From the waiting shed, this is more than 1 kilometer away from Treasure Mountain, go straight up then turn right when you see the signage for Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite.
Route 2 – Via Sampaloc in Tanay, Rizal
Take the Sampaloc Road and pass the street to Daranak Falls. Drive straight until you reach the junction then turn left. You should pass Sierra Madre Resort, Ten Cents to Heaven then Pico de Pino. Continue driving until you see the jump-off point Maysawa Circuit. From the waiting shed, this is more than 1 kilometer away from Treasure Mountain, go straight up then turn right when you see the signage for Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite.
Route 1 – Via Cogeo
- Ride a van or jeepney going to Cogeo Gate 2
- Take another jeep bound to Sampaloc, Tanay. Terminal is beside CityMall.
- Get off at Sitio Maysawa or jump-off to Maysawa Circuit.
- From here you can walk for 45 minutes to an hour or hop on the tricycle to get to Fresno Agro Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite
Cubao to Cogeo Gate 2 – Php24-Php30
Cogeo to Sitio Maysawa – Php45
Tricycle from Sitio Maysawa to Fresno – Php45-Php50
Route 2 – Via Tanay
- Ride a jeepney going to Tanay town proper and get off at Tanay Public Market.
- Take another jeep going to Sampaloc (Php29)
- Ride a tricycle going to Fresno (Php250-Php350 for 4 persons)
Explore more places nearby!