The Chocolate Hills of Bohol is indisputably the most famous hills in the Philippines. While there is no argument to that, there are other promising spots worth checking like Osmena Peak of Cebu and now the underrated Quitinday Hills of Albay in Bicol region.
Picturesque hills and the perfect cone-shaped Mayon volcano combined into one perfect spot only found in Camalig, Albay. This is where Quitinday Hills enters the scene.
There is a resting area at the middle of both peaks. You can unload your bags here so you can trek the peak without extra weights.
Quitinday Hills land area is more than 400 hectares full of green hills with impressive views. Currently, two peaks are accessible to public, but on the question of the actual number of mounds, that remains unconfirmed. The two peaks are enough as it offers a 360-degree view and the iconic Mayon volcano.
In less than 30 minutes of trekking from the jump-off point, you will be able to reach the two peaks. The trail is well established and guide is not required. An environmental fee of Php20 is collected for each guest.
Quitinday Hills is open from 5:30am to 5:30pm. Best time to visit is during sunrise or sunset for a better chance of witnessing the unobstructed Mayon volcano. Overnight camping is allowed but you need to secure a permit from Camalig Tourism Office.
How To Get To Quitinday Hills
- If you’re coming from Legazpi City, Albay, ride a jeep going to Daraga and drop off at LCC Mall or Public Market.
- Take another jeep going to Polangui, Guinobatan or Camalig.
- Tell the driver to drop you off at Quitinday Junction.
- Charter a tricycle to take you to the registration site of Quitinday Hills. Rate is Php500 round trip good for 5 passengers.
If you plan to visit other nearby tourist spots, you may want to include the Hoyop-Hoyopan Cave, Quitinan Hills, Underground River and Quitinday Falls. Rate may reach Php800-1,000.
Things To Consider
- Best time to visit Quitinday Hills is during sunrise and sunset to see Mayon volcano with unobstructed view.
- Wear comfortable attire for trekking – sandals and dri-fit shirts.
- If you plan to visit the nearby tourist spots, make sure to start early as the tour may take 5-7 hours.
- Practice the “Leave No Trace” or LNT Principles all the time.
- Do not litter. Bring your trash with you or put it in proper disposing area.
- Respect the locals and their culture.
- Enjoy and keep safe.
Here are additional information and tips on Quitinday Green Hills: