Puraran is considered as the surfing capital of Catanduanes. It is even described as majestic waves by Hawaiian photographer Warren Bolster in a 1980 issue of Surfer Magazine. It is geographically located in Baras, Catanduanes.
Beginners can test their surfing skill on the calmer waters behind Puraran Beach’s rock formations which they will be guided by surf instructors associated with the nearby resorts.
For experienced surfers, they would love the waves on the other side of the beach that can go as high as six feet especially during typhoon season (July – October).
For non-surfer visitors, you can enjoy beach bumming on the powdery-cream sand beach of Puraran. Go swimming with your friends and dabble in shallow water.
And to have more fun, go jump over the water all you want for free!
Make sure to stay and watch the sunset as it slowly colors the sky into palette of earthy colors.
Satisfy your cravings for seafoods and try their lobster and various fish meals. They also have local tinolang manok and pancit. All prices are affordable ranging from Php150 – Php260.
Puraran Beach is not the usual go-to place by many which give it a plus to grasp and plan your trip now before the crowd comes in. And aside from Puraran, there are many beautiful and interesting places you can visit when in Catanduanes. You can check the nearest attraction of Binurong Point which is less than 30 minutes away or go all the way up to Caramoran to experience the unspoiled beaches of Palumbanes Islands.
Where To Stay
There are several resorts you can check that are offering fan and airconditioned room accommodations. Make sure to book your reservation in advance especially during peak season.
Puraran Surf Beach Resort: Ate Cerilyn – 09397142384
Alon Surf Stay – 09065547590
Majestic Puraran – 09271944212
How To Get There
By Private Transportation
- Best way to explore Catanduanes is when you have your own private vehicle and going as a group. Some portion of the road may be narrow and bouncy.
- From Virac proper, you need to drive to Catanduanes Circumferential Road straight to Bato -Baras Road
- Turn right and follow the Baras – Gigmoto – Viga Road. This will lead you to Puraran Beach.
By Public Transportation
- Ride a van or jeep located in the port area of Virac and drop off at Puraran Beach Resort’s welcome arch
- You may also charter tricycle or motorcycle to get you to Puraran Beach Resort.